M.A. Program: Application Procedure
For entry in Fall 2019:
Applications Open: Monday October 15, 2018
Application Deadline: Monday January 14, 2019
Step 2: Follow the appropriate steps online, select the relevant Admit Term (2019 Fall), and Academic Program (see example below). When you click on search, the program description will appear and you select that. Your supporting documents can be uploaded directly to your online application. If for some reason you are unable to upload your documents, you can email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 3: Attach your supporting documents to your online application. NOTE: We can accept scanned copies of your transcripts and English language proficiency test scores (if applicable). Official transcripts and English language proficiency test scores are not required unless you receive an offer to the program. Officials can be sent in the mail to our program office at that time.
DO NOT SEND APPLICATION MATERIALS TO THE SCHOOL OF GRADUATE STUDIES
- One official transcript of all post-secondary academic work completed to date, sent directly to our office from the issuing institution:
– You may upload an unofficial scanned copy of your transcript(s) to your online application or email your transcript(s) to email@example.com to expedite the calculation of your GPA and review of your application. If you are offered a spot in the program, then your official transcript(s) will be required at that point.
– If you will be completing your degree while applying to the program, and should an offer of admission be made, you will need to submit updated and final official transcripts by the end of August prior to starting the program.
– If the final transcript does not show that a completed degree has been conferred, a copy of your degree is required.
- Two (2) academic recommendations from instructors most familiar with your work. When completing your application, you will be asked to input your referee email addresses. After you submit your application, your referees will receive an automated email asking them to complete the academic reference online. Once they submit it, the form will come to our office automatically. *If for some reason your referee cannot complete the form online, they can complete and email us this form.
If your recommendations are submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, the applicant should NOT be copied on the email. If submitting the references by postal mail or in person, please ensure that referees have signed across the seal of the envelope.
- A short writing sample (maximum 2500 words) uploaded to your online application or emailed to email@example.com in pdf format
- A statement of interest uploaded to your online application or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org in pdf format. The statement should be 2-3 pages long, double spaced (about 600-900 words).
- FOR INTERNATIONAL/VISA STUDENTS: If the applicant’s native language is not English, an official copy of their TOEFL score (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test report form is required. These test results need to be less than 1 year old. McMaster’s TOEFL Institution code is 0936, Department code is 98 Other Humanities. Applicants who have completed a post-secondary degree from a program where the language of instruction is English are not required to provide a TOEFL or IELTS score. Minimum test scores required for the Gender Studies & Feminist Research MA program are:
TOEFL IELTS 92 for iBT score 6.5 minimum score overall 580 on the paper-based TOEFL Academic, not General 237 on the computer-based TOEFL 5.5 minimum score in each section
Please visit the International Student Services office for more international student resources.
Supporting Documents Address:
SEND OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS AND OFFICIAL ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY TEST SCORES TO:
Gender Studies & Feminist Research Graduate Program
McMaster University, TSH 721
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4M2
NOTE: Do NOT staple your documents! Please use paperclips to avoid tearing of your documents.
DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS TO THE SCHOOL OF GRADUATE STUDIES
⇒For Application Process inquiries, please email email@example.com
⇒For Research or Academic based questions, please email the Director at firstname.lastname@example.org